… in which we focus the musical spotlight squarely on the great local sounds that the KC/Lawrence area has to offer, hear from representatives of two KC-based record labels who are collaborating on a special Record Store Day contribution, and get more concert recommendations from the indefatigable Chris Haghirian. Plus, a look back at this year’s Middle of the Map Festival through the words of various writers and the photos contributed by listeners, and some video goodies – one of which includes a cameo by one of your Mailbox co-hosts. I know … you’re totally stoked about that.
ME TOO!!!! ~ mb
The Beautiful Bodies – She’s a Blast
The Hillary Watts Riot – Slap Slap
The Empty Spaces – The 1960′s Divorce Rate Blues
La Guerre – 23
G3RSt – Scott Pilgrim vs. Beck
Oberhofer – Away Frm U
The Sexy Accident – You Don’t Exist
The second Middle of the Map Festival was a huuuuge success by all accounts. Congratulations to Chris Haghirian, Nathan Reusch, and everyone who worked so hard to make Kansas City look and sound so good. Here are some very kind words about the first weekend in April 2012 (and about KC in general):
Back to Rockville, part one
Back to Rockville, part two
Back to Rockville, part three
Back to Rockville, part four
America’s Creative Crossroads
Midwest Music Foundation
Under The Gun
Dan Jones: Daily Records
And here are just some of the images that were captured over the course of the event, with much respect and gratitude to Leah O’Connor, Michelle Bacon, and Hampton Stevens for sharing their photos with us:
It wouldn’t be a Mailbox webpage if there wasn’t information about a project Chris and/or Ink Magazine were involved in – here’s the latest: the return of the Wednesday Local Music Showcase at Kauffman Stadium. If the Royals had a lineup as killer as this one, they’d win the World Series for sure!
Another week of great gigs and great venues – Friday and Saturday are insanely busy once again:
Monday, April 16
- Hanni El Khatib/The Empty Spaces/Sundelles at The Riot Room
Tuesday, April 17
- Kasey Rausch & Friends early at recordBar
- Not A Planet/National Rifle/The Puritans at Replay
- Paperclips/John Klemmensen and the Party/Hide In the Shallows at recordBar
- The Naked And Famous/Vacationer/Now, Now at The Midland
Wednesday, April 18
- Bowling For Soup/Patent Pending/Freshman 15/Sandlot Hereos at Granada
- The Beautiful Bodies at Kauffman Stadium before the Royals game, music at 6pm, game at 7:10pm
- Truett and The Traitors w/ Fullbloods and The Captains Son at The Riot Room
Thursday, April 19
- JJ Grey & Mofro at Knuckleheads
- Traindodge/Waiting For Signal/Drop a Grand at The Riot Room
Friday, April 20
- Cake at The Uptown
- Ghosty CD release/Fourth of July/Mary Fortune at Replay
- Long Shadows/The Devil/White Widow at Jackpot
- Mike Dillon/Yojimbu at The Brick
- Steddy P & DJ Mahf/Matthew Sawicki/Royce Diamond/Farout & Jbomb/Brett Gretzky/Info Gates at recordBar
- The Floozies/Spankalicious/Electric Theory at The Bottleneck
- The Latenight Callers at R Bar
- Sex Bob-Omb cover band (featuring Cameron Hawk, Aaron Swenson, & Michelle Bacon) at An Evening of 8-Bit Featuring Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World at Screenland Crossroads
Saturday, April 21
- Band Of Heathens/Adam Hood at Knuckleheads
- Gentleman Savage/The Cave Girls/The B’Dinas/Appropriate Grammar CD release show at Davey’s
- Ghosty/Minden/The ACB’s at recordBar
- Janet The Planet/Jorge Arana Trio at Replay
- Sellout at The Bottleneck
- Suzanne Vega and Duncan Sheik at Carlsen Center at JCCC
- Soft Reeds/Fullbloods/La Guerre/Spirit is the Spirit at The Brick
Sunday, April 22
- Rachel Maddow at The Uptown
And finally, a couple video clips for you to enjoy. Sheesh, we’re giving you a lot to see/hear this week!
“Leave You Lonesome,” Lennon Bone
“She’s A Blast,” Beautiful Bodies
Support local music!
Support local musicians!
Support local music venues!
And PLEASE SUPPORT THE MIDWEST MUSIC FOUNDATION!
Thanks for listening and looking.
Follow The Mailbox on Twitter and Facebook! And subscribe to us on iTunes!