… in which Chris Haghirian and Michael Byars present just a few of their music highlights of the year, sounds that come from around the world and around the corner. You’ll get a chance to listen to more songs than usual this week. We hope you don’t mind.
Nah. We didn’t think you would.
Rodrigo y Gabriela w/C.U.B.A. – Juan Loco
School of Seven Bells – Scavenger
Polica – Dark Star
Heems – Coca Cola Freestyle
Thee Water MoccaSins – On A Wire
The Grisly Hand – Black Coffee
Santigold – This Isn’t Our Parade
Japandroids – The House That Heaven Built
The Flaming Lips – It’s Summertime
Here are some other sources for “best music of the year so far” lists – how many do you agree with, and how many do you think are just preposterous?
The Deli Magazine is a national music e-zine that’s recently been given a home in Kansas City, alongside other big music towns like NYC, Chicago, and Austin. This is due to the exposure of our scene at MidCoast Takeover at SXSW, which The Deli named one of the best showcases of 2012. Thanks to Midwest Music Foundation for sponsoring the page, editor-in-chief (and our faithful web editor) Michelle Bacon for heading up the effort, and all the great musicians and fans around here that make this all possible. That means YOU!
Things to check out on The Deli:
- Artist of the month: Antennas Up
- CD of the month: The Quivers – The Quivers EP
- Album reviews: The Cave Girls, Thee Water MoccaSins
- On The Beat with Tess Jehle from The B’Dinas and Dream Wolf (Q&A with local drummers)
- Comprehensive show calendar
- … and much more! Just give it a look at the link above. While you’re at it, follow The Deli on Facebook and Twitter!
Concerts aplenty once again this week – you’d think the KC/Lawrence area was into the music thing or something:
Monday, June 18
- Making Movies at Jerry’s in Lee’s Summit
- Eric Hutchinson/Avalanche City at Beaumont
Tuesday, June 19
- Sky Smead/Tyler Gregory/Tinhorn Molly at recordBar
Wednesday, June 20
- The Life and Times/Beta Capsule/With Knives at recordBar
- Moonface/La Big Vic/Hospital Ships at the Jackpot
Thursday, June 21
- Dale Watson at Knuckleheads
- Flaming Lips at Liberty Hall (sold out)
- Steve Martin and The Steep Canyon Rangers at The Midland (sold out)
- David George with special guests REO Speedwagon/STYX/Ted Nugent at Starlight
- Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey/Dan Tedesco at recordBar
- RAW Kansas City at Uptown
Friday, June 22
- Hearts of Darkness at the Nerman Center at JCCC
- Flaming Lips outside of Liberty Hall
- Sexy Accident/B’dinas/Molly Gene/Amy Farrand at The Brick
- Under the Black Sails/The Scarred/Radkey/Five Star Disaster at recordBar
- The Latenight Callers/Blackbird Revue/Kentucky Knife Fight at Nica’s 320
- Robert Rich at Gottlieb Planetarium inside Union Station
Saturday, June 23
- At the Left Hand of God/Conflicts/Moire/David Hasselhoff On Acid/The Catalyst at Beaumont
- Gavin DeGraw/Colbie Caillat and more at Starlight
- The Grisly Hand/Dead Voices/Bob Reuter’s Alley Ghost at Davey’s
- Lil’ Kim with Bone Thugs N-Harmony at VooDoo Lounge
- Cornmeal/The Goddamn Gallows/Split Lip Rayfield/Sons Of Fathers at Crossroads behind Grinders
- Is It Is/Molly Picture Club/Crush at recordBar
- Atlantic Express at Knuckleheads
Sunday, June 24
- Black Oak Arkansas/The Grisly Hand/Savage 7 at The Riot Room
- Chris Duarte Group at Knuckleheads
- The Driftwood Singers/OLASSA/Run Little Rabbit at Replay
- Sonic Spectrum Tribute to The Minutemen, featuring The Brannock Device/UFT!/Robot Monkey Madman/Jorge Arana Trio/Chad Rex and Troy Meiss
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KLIPH SCURLOCK OF THE FLAMING LIPS! SEE YOU AT LIBERTY HALL!
The Mailbox would like to thank Vinyl Renaissance for their support. Thanks, Vinyl Renaissance!
Support local music!
Support local musicians!
Support local music venues!
And PLEASE SUPPORT THE MIDWEST MUSIC FOUNDATION!
Thanks for listening and looking.
Follow The Mailbox on Twitter and Facebook! And subscribe to us on iTunes!